Bhutan VISA & Passports
Valid visas and passports are essential to enter into the country. Tourists to Bhutan are permitted only as a member of a commercially organized tour group established through the travel agent. Following information along with full tour payment shall be emailed to us about a month prior to date of arrival in Bhutan to process visa with the concerned authorities :
2. Permanent Address
4. Date & Place of Birth
5. Profession / Occupation
6. Passport Number
7. Date of Issue
8. Place of Issue
9. Date of Expiry
10. Nature of Passport : Diplomatic / Official / Ordinary / UN Laissez Passer
On the basis of above informations,Visa clearance is done and issued by the Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs in Thimphu and same copy of it is emailed to you. You are required to produce this Visa Clearance copy at the time of check-in for Druk Air flight to Bhutan and those entering Bhutan by surface via Phuentsholing, they need to produce this Visa Clearance at the Immigration counter. Actual visa is stamped at passport, on arrival in Bhutan.
Tourists entering Bhutan by surface also need to carry 02 copies of passport size photographs.
For more information, you might contact us through online by filling up the form or can be directly contacted through E-Mail.
Guidelines on how to apply for Official visa clearance
(Official Guest of the Ministry)
- Forwarding letter from the head of the Department addressed to Dy. Chief of Protocol)
- Notesheet from the concern Ministry
- Filled up Visa application form (need to be filled up by the guests only)
- Passport photocopy of the visitor
(Official Guest of the Non-Governmental Organization)
- Forwarding letter from the Head of Organization.
- Approval letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Filled up visa applications.(need to filled up by the guests only)
- Passport photocopy of the visitor
(Official Guest of the Corporate & Autonomous Agencies)
- Forwarding letter from the Head of Institutions addressed to Dy. Chief of Protocol
- Approval Letter from the Chairman.
- Filled up visa application forms(need to be filled up by the guests only)
- Passport photocopy of the guest.
(Official Guest of the Sport Association)
- Forwarding letter from the General Secretary addressed to Dy. Chief of Protocol
- Approval Letter from the President
- Filled up visa application form (need to be filled by the guests only)
- Passport photocopy of the visiting guests.
(Long Term Foreign Expatriate’s Guests)
- Forwarding letter from the concern organizations addressed to Dy. Chief of Protocol.
- Tenure of Host.(Only long term are allowed to apply)
- The host must complete six months prior to their arrival in the country.
- Filled up personal guest application
- Filled up visa application form
- Passport copy of the visitor as well as the host.
- Members of the immediate family members of all expatriates shall be allowed to join them in Bhutan for a period not exceeding the duration of their assignment.
- The term “Immediate family “is defined to include the spouse, children, parents & the spouse’s Parents.
- The duration of the stay of the guests do not exceed one month.
(Official Guests of the Private Organizations)
- Forwarding letter from the MoEA.
- Filled up visa applications form
- Passport photocopy of the guests.
- If the Government or any Private organizations wants to employee an foreigner, approval must be sought from Chief Labour Officer, Department of Labour with valid work permit.
- The visa forms can be downloaded from the MoHCA website
- The maximum period of days required for processing visa is two working days; hence all the applications applying for visa should be submitted before two days from the prior date of arrival of the guests.
- The visa clearance from the visa section should be collected only during the afternoon by 2: 00 P.M to 5: 00 P.M.
- Country which does not require Bhutanese visa to enter Bhutan.
- Bangladesh, Maldivians & Indian nationals does not require producing visa while coming to Bhutan.
- Thai nationals holding official and diplomatic passport while coming to Bhutan do not require producing visa since the visa will by stamped upon arrival at the Paro International airport by Immigration authority. But those people carrying ordinary passport need to produce Bhutanese visa in advance.
- Gratis Visa
- Only those Officials carrying diplomatic, UN & official passports will be issued gratis visas
- If there is a MoU signed indicating some points about the free charges, then the visiting guests will be issued gratis visas.
- Extension of Visa for the Visiting Guests:
- If the guest has to stay back for more than three days, then the concerned Ministry/Organization etc need to write a letter addressed to Dy. Chief of Protocol. The letter must mention the genuine reasons for the extension.
- A copy of earlier visa which was issued by the Immigration.
- The visiting officials can bring their immediate family which includes spouse, children & parents to accompany them on their official visits.