The Tourism Council of Bhutan and the Royal Government of Bhutan set up the tourist tariff in Bhutan. All travel agencies are registered with them, and they also fix the daily tariff rates. 35 % of the daily tariff goes directly to the Tourism Council of Bhutan and hence to the national treasury. The policy of Tourism Council of Bhutan is to encourage quality tourism rather than quantity tourist. Hence the tourist tariff is bit higher comparing to rest of the region.
1. The current daily tariff is as follows:
Peak season: January, February March, April, May, September, October, November, December.
For group of 3 persons or above US $ 200 per night per person For 2 persons in a group: US $ 230 per night per person (daily tariff US $ 200 +surcharge US $ 30)
- For 1 person: US $ 240 per night per person (daily tariff US $ 200 +surcharge US $ 40)
Low season: July, August
- For group of 3 persons or above US $ 165 per night per person
- For 2 persons in a group: US $ 195 per night per person (daily tariff US $ 165 +surcharge US $ 30)
- For 1 person : US $ 205 per night per person ( daily tariff US $ 165 + surcharge US $ 40)
Tariff for individuals and small groups (FITs):
For group less than 3 pax surcharge is applicable. This amount goes directly to the Government of Bhutan.
- 1 person Group US$ 40 per Night stay in Bhutan.
- 2 person Group US$ 30 per Night stay in Bhutan.
2. The above cost is inclusive of the following:
- Government taxes
- Twin sharing Hotel Rooms
- Service of Guides
- All transfers and sightseeing/treks/tours specified in the itinerary
- Riding ponies and pack animals on treks
- Entrance fees to museums
- BST (Bhutan Sales Tax)
- Tourism Development fee (TDF)
3. The rates given above are applicable per tourist per night halt in Bhutan. On the day of departure, the local agents host obligation shall be limited to breakfast only and any extra requirements shall be payable on actual basis.
4. The rates shall apply uniformly irrespective of locations and the type of accommodation provided/asked for. These accommodation establishments shall be approved by the Department of Tourism
5. The following is not included in the daily tariff:
- Visa fee US $20 each (must be paid in advance with tour cost).
- Airport Tax US $ 13 each ( must be paid in advance with airfare).
- Travel insurance
- Single Room supplements US $ 25 per room per night during low season and US $ 50 per room per night during peak season.
- Other personal expenses, calls overseas, laundary,excess baggage charges, etc.
Discount on tourist tariff:
- DIPLOMATS from foreign embassies/missions accredited to Bhutan shall be given a 25% discount on the daily rates
- There shall be no charge for CHILDREN up to the age of 5 years. However, those between the age of 6 to 12 years accompanied by elders/guardians shall be given a 40% discount on daily rates.
- Full time Students below the age of 25 years holding valid identity cards from their academic institutions shall also be given a 25% discount on daily rates
- A discount of 50% on daily rates shall be given to one person in a group of 11 to 15 persons. A 100% discount shall be given to one member in a group exceeding 16 persons.
- A discount of 10% on the daily rates shall be provided for halts between 11 to 20 nights and 20% discount on halts beyond 21 nights.
Tour Programs booked and subsequently cancelled shall be subject to the following scale of charges depending on when the notification of cancellation is received.
- If notification of cancellation of your trip is received between 21 to 29 days of the travel date: 10% of the daily rate.
- If notification of cancellation of your trip is received between 14 to 20 days : 15% of the daily rate.
- If notification of cancellation of your trip is received between 7 to 13 days: 30% of the daily rate.
- If notification of cancellation of your trip is received in less than 7 days of your travel date or cancel without notice: 50% of the daily rate.
- If you have to cancel after your arrival in Bhutan: 100% of the daily rate ( meaning no refund)
- Your DrukAir fare will not be refunded.
Delayed Arrival / Departure
A. There shall be no fixed charge for the number of days of delay in arrival of visitors due to weather conditions, Druk Air problems or road blocks except for minimum charge on hotel cancellation, transport & guide.
B. There is no daily tariff charge if the plane is delayed leaving Bhutan. You will be billed for the actual expenses of accommodations, meals, transport and other services that might be required.